Monday 21 April 2014

The Smell After Rain


Pensive afternoon, stormy and grey
Stuck in maths, at the end of the day
Unlike the teacher, the clock ticks
And the students perform arithmatics
By an open window I breathe
And watch the bushes sway and heave
The sigh of heat is broken
Under murmurs of a clouded ocean
Dark spots on a playground's floor
One or two, and then some more
Great thudding drops from heaven descend
Just in time for class to end
Warm and zipped with hood on hair
I care little for a stranger's stare
The best thing in rain is to run
To dance over puddles and skip for fun
Waves of rain fall like curtain
No question of what is (or isn't) certain
My hood is a drum and the rain is a beat
I scuttle and rhythm through my feet
My face is wet and my hands are numb
But I am free from that trivial sum
And as the clouds withdraw
The rhythm pounds no more
Pavement heated by the sun
I know that smell! Freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment